Our members are dedicated to continued leadership in sustainability, to positively contributing to the long-term well-being of the communities where we live and work, and to being responsible employers that add to the local and national economy. We pride ourselves on always operating with the highest ethical standards; conducting our business with integrity; and respecting the laws, cultures and rights of individuals.
We work together to improve the environment and advance society, like committing to withdrawing from fishing Bluefin tuna for 5 years (2015-2019), allowing for stocks to recover – to striving to meet all of the goals of the Mexican Center for Philanthropy which has awarded our members as “Socially Responsible Enterprises.” We continuously work toward:
- Thriving oceans, for today and in the future;
- Ethical employment; and
- Healthy strong communities.
Thriving Oceans – We protect our natural resources for today and future generations. We envision a future with healthy oceans where marine ecosystems are thriving and productive and future generations can continue to enjoy bountiful seas. As fishers, we know that we have a critical role to play in that future. We:
- Follow the most rigorous international standards for sustainability, fishing practice and fishing gear as set by the Inter-American Tropical Tuna Commission (IATTC), a legally-binding commission with over 23 signatory countries including the United States and Mexico;
- Use state-of-the-art vessels equipped with the environmentally sensitive technology and equipment to minimize impact on the marine ecosystem;
- Protect marine species, with special efforts in adhering to all mandates in the Agreement on the International Dolphin Conservation Program (AIDCP), a legally binding, multilateral agreement on dolphin conservation and ecosystem management in the Eastern Pacific Ocean, as well as (insert shark project);
- Ensure that each and every vessel has an independent scientific observer aboard to guarantee compliance with international standards. This means that our fleet has 100% independent observer coverage. We are the most observed fishery in the world.
Ethical Employment – We seek to be important contributors to our local economies, providing safe, healthy workplaces and stable, long-term, well-paying jobs. We believe strongly in the ethical treatment of all employees.
We invest in our employees by funding strong training and education programs. Our goal is to ensure our employees continuously build skills, are trained to surpass international operating standards, and are careful stewards of the environment and communities where we work.
The members of the Alliance:
- Follow high national and international labor standards for all of our operations, including adhering to the highest of safety and operating standards on all of our vessels.
- Provide high-paying jobs in the communities where we work. Our members have created and provide over 30,000 direct and indirect jobs across Mexico.
- Train each of our captains, employees, and staff to operate responsibly, according to all of the rules of IATTC, AIDCP, and the Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. Our employees are equipped to be careful stewards of the marine ecosystems where we work.
- Support employees and their families to lead healthy, happy lives. We work to foster the health and happiness of our employees and their families by providing health programs, including community clinics, health education, and extra-curricular activities to engage employees in healthy living.
Healthy, Strong Communities – From providing high-quality products to supporting the communities with education and health programs, we invest in the communities where we live and work. We:
- Strive to deliver the highest quality tuna products for households on a budget. We believe that our consumers deserve an affordable healthy, nutritious and delicious sustainable protein source – and respect the traditional role that tuna plays in the Mexican diet.
- Support community education programs that contribute to healthy, balanced lifestyles for our customers and help consumers appreciate the important role of sustainability for future generations.
- Engage with communities to support local priorities. Each and every member engages with the local communities where we live and work to ensure that we consider the priorities of the local area and operate responsibly.